Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Dell Small Biz: RFD System Vote Winners + Ultrasharp U2410 24" IPS LCD $499 Now Live!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2009 2:34 pm

Poll: Which Dell Vostro Systems are you most interested in?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Nov 28, 2005
420 posts
Brownbay wrote: A question for you guys though, I just logged into the MyDell page and noticed that my order status says shipped, but no email has been sent.... Any idea how long it took some of you for a tracking number to show up in your inbox?
Sign in at Dell => MyAccount => Order Status => Order Shipped
On the right, you will see

Ship to:

Shipping Method: Canada Standard
Shipped Date: 10/13/2009
Estimated Delivery Date: Order Shipped
Carrier: PUROLATOR
Tracking Number: xxxxxxxxx

Something like that
Apr 11, 2007
35 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks man, I had no idea that they don't send out email notifications anymore.

Now I gotta either wait a few days or call Purolator for an estimated ship date to show up on the Purolator tracking system.
Dec 10, 2008
39 posts
Toronto
I just got an email from Dell saying the U2410 I ordered yesterday was shipped today from the US. When ordered, it appeared that it might be a few weeks for shipping.

Also, rec'd a bluetooth handsfree today that I ordered at the same time. I got the Kensington carkit and in initial testing it's good. I did not want anything hanging on my ear - I think people look like idiots walking around with a bluetooth sticking on thier ear - just my opinion :D The previous model I owned sucked because I had to reset my phone to see it every time I got in & out of the car - this works automatically (so far).
Oct 8, 2009
17 posts
1 upvote
Awesome. My U2410 showed up this morning. Thanks Dell & RFD. :)
Jan 12, 2008
44 posts
PoV wrote: Awesome. My U2410 showed up this morning. Thanks Dell & RFD. :)
I got mine this afternoon too. How'd yours turn out? Mine unfortunately has green tinting on the left and pink on the right (when facing the monitor directly). Given how many people complained about this online, I really have to say that its not noticeable unless viewed on a pure white background with the brightness and contrast turned down. Perhaps mine isn't as seriously affected, but its noticeable enough in graphic work that I opened to test the colors and so I'll still be contacting Dell for an exchange > :( .

As for the build quality, its very nice and solid and all the inputs/ports work.The menu system is intelligently layed out but the touch buttons can get in the way sometimes when you rotate the monitor. That's probably something that won't be an issue once you get used to it.
Banned
Mar 16, 2009
4857 posts
2030 upvotes
Got it. Love it.
<<< Did you find my post helpful? Click the THANKS button.

BOYCOTT Lenovo products || Read about #LenovoGate! Tweet #LenovoSUCKS @Lenovo & @Lenovo_Canada, Post @ facebook.com/lenovo
May 29, 2008
828 posts
374 upvotes
Mine also has the green/pink tint. The pink tint noticeably more annoying than the green, but IMO it's not noticeable enough for me to go through the hassle of exchanging it - granted I'm not a photographer. I might exchange after a new revision.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
1323 posts
Got mine, man is this thing bright. Hooked it up to another computer to test it with and play around with the settings, got back to my regular 2005FPW and it was like looking at a black piece of paper lol.. and that's with the brightness cranked down to 30!

No dead pixels that I can find, very happy about that.

Very very slight tint issue across the screen, so subtle that I question if it's just my mind seeing it because I expect it, almost have to take a picture and measure the colours to determine if it's really there so I'm happy that way.

Some inconsistency around the edges for whites, but blacks seem good (little backlight bleeding).

And now I know exactly what people complain about with high gamut monitors.. I can set this into sRGB mode and it looks good but I do see dithering at the darkest end of things and some banding in the gray scale tests.. Standard (high gamut) mode all of that disappears, but of course the colours are very (over) saturated.

But overall happy, the colour issue is going to continue until colour management basically becomes part of Windows and all apps, which should eventually happen with the different monitors (one would think).
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2003
1206 posts
128 upvotes
temporalillusion wrote: Got mine, man is this thing bright. Hooked it up to another computer to test it with and play around with the settings, got back to my regular 2005FPW and it was like looking at a black piece of paper lol.. and that's with the brightness cranked down to 30!

No dead pixels that I can find, very happy about that.

Very very slight tint issue across the screen, so subtle that I question if it's just my mind seeing it because I expect it, almost have to take a picture and measure the colours to determine if it's really there so I'm happy that way.

Some inconsistency around the edges for whites, but blacks seem good (little backlight bleeding).

And now I know exactly what people complain about with high gamut monitors.. I can set this into sRGB mode and it looks good but I do see dithering at the darkest end of things and some banding in the gray scale tests.. Standard (high gamut) mode all of that disappears, but of course the colours are very (over) saturated.

But overall happy, the colour issue is going to continue until colour management basically becomes part of Windows and all apps, which should eventually happen with the different monitors (one would think).
Any particular calibration settings you can share? I'm receiving mine tomorrow so hopefully I won't have a lemon.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
1323 posts
Fire Man wrote: Any particular calibration settings you can share? I'm receiving mine tomorrow so hopefully I won't have a lemon.
Nothing yet, just have been playing with the brightness and contrast in the various default modes. The U2410 thread on HardOCP has a few posts with people sharing their custom mode settings; seems that might be the best compromise between using the wide gamut so that you don't get any dithering in the dark areas but still staying close to the sRGB colour space so that you don't get washed out colours. For general windows stuff anyway, of course for colour managed apps that's not an issue.
Oct 8, 2009
6 posts
Burnaby
Hmmm.. I just got mine today, and there are some noticable green/pink tinting ... :(
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2003
1206 posts
128 upvotes
godfreyhk wrote: Hmmm.. I just got mine today, and there are some noticable green/pink tinting ... :(
Same here unfortunately. I have the pink tinting as well as dithering. Not impressed with the monitor at all. I'm thinking of returning it, seeing how the monitor is in it's first rendition and is very problematic is seems at the moment. I don't feel like returning it 4 or 5 times to get something slightly better than this.

However I believe Dell has a 30 day return policy so I'm wondering if I send this back, if I can get a 2nd one before the 30 days is up. If the second one is not good, then I'll return it for a full refund.

Another thing I've noticed with this LCD is the whole image on the screens is smudgy/grainy. It has a sparkly look as if there is finger grease all over the screen which makes it look like dirty glass. This is my first LCD monitor as I've been using my 19" Samsung Syncmaster 900nf CRT up until now, so I have nothing to compare it to. Is this normal? My 10 year old 19"CRT blows this out of the water in every category so far.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2003
1140 posts
53 upvotes
Burnaby
I received my u2410 today. Comparing it side by side with my 2005FPW it's just as good if not better. Whites are brighter, blacks are about equal but colors are more vivid. I need to do more comparisons and calibration.

Also I don't see much of a difference in text quality but the edge is to the 2005fpw until I get more time to fiddle around with the settings and modes.

Very very minor green/pink dithering (I barely notice it) and no dead pixels, I think i'll keep mine.
I like Maynards Gummies
Oct 8, 2009
6 posts
Burnaby
Fire Man wrote: Another thing I've noticed with this LCD is the whole image on the screens is smudgy/grainy. It has a sparkly look as if there is finger grease all over the screen which makes it look like dirty glass. This is my first LCD monitor as I've been using my 19" Samsung Syncmaster 900nf CRT up until now, so I have nothing to compare it to. Is this normal? My 10 year old 19"CRT blows this out of the water in every category so far.
I noticed the same problem. I must have confused that with "dithering". My macbook pro has a glossy glass screen, so I assumed that it's due to the matte finishing. Now the more I think about it, the more I see it as a problem... I don't see that happening on the other LCD screens that I work with. I've ordered a replacement already so I'll compare that to my new one side-by-side and find out.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2003
1206 posts
128 upvotes
godfreyhk wrote: I noticed the same problem. I must have confused that with "dithering". My macbook pro has a glossy glass screen, so I assumed that it's due to the matte finishing. Now the more I think about it, the more I see it as a problem... I don't see that happening on the other LCD screens that I work with. I've ordered a replacement already so I'll compare that to my new one side-by-side and find out.
I clearly notice "dithering" from the images on this site: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Images 6-25 have noticeable effects, some more so than others ONLY on sRGB and Adobe RGB preset modes which seem to best selections from the presets.
Nov 10, 2007
395 posts
212 upvotes
I posted this on HardForum earlier. Ultimately I've decided to keep it. Had to spend some time tweaking the colors but its close enough for my liking.

[QUOTE]Hey Everyone,

I’ve been reading these boards for years now but never found the need to post anything. Just picked up a U2410 for $499 + taxes from Dell.ca and wanted to chime in about my experiences.

Just a couple of quick notes before I get into this. I have used my trusty 17” NEC CRT for the past 9 years with the only problem being its low resolution (10x7). With a Trinitron tube in there, I’ve been reluctant to give it up in favor of an LCD.

Also anyone ever have a problem with Purolator dropping off a package if you live in an apartment building. I gave them my buzz when I ordered and it was on the label. Even if that fails, there is a tenant list at the entrance. But no, I sit around all day waiting for a package when I see its out for delivery and I confirm it will ariive that day with one of their agents. I check online later in the evening and see that I need to schedule a pickup time afterwards?? Somehow Canada Post can figure out the buzz code but they can’t…… Anyways I had to go down to the depot to get it.

Enough of that let me describe my experience for you guys with the U2410. I have my CRT hooked up as well so that I can see the changes between the two.

I don’t do color critical work but am very susceptible to ghosting/color changes/input lag/tinting etc. (hence why I never found a suitable replacement for my NEC monitor).

The model I received was manufactured Oct. 2009 and assembled in Mexico. Yes, the RGB mode does have the dithering, but I use custom mode.

Things I like:

No dead pixels on the model I received.
Does not make any noise.
Lots of connectivity options. I only use DVI though, but everything you could ask for is there.
I love portrait mode, it makes editing documents easy, surfing sites and forums (using it as I write this), and if you read comics, it’s very useful for that too (you can fit a whole page on the screen). Only thing that sucks is that the screen does not automatically rotate the image, I need to rotate it in the nvidia control panel.
Card reader is a nice touch for someone like me who does not own a standalone unit.
Extra USB ports are always useful.
The touch buttons I find very cool. I don’t have a problem with them activating. Yes sometimes I have to hit it a second time, but it is by no means a defective button system. The button to activate the menu lights up if you put your finger near it. It’s a nice touch for when you are working in the dark. It turns right off if you don’t use it.
Menu is easy to use but I’m not sure how to access some of the options such as noise reduction, pixel clock, and phase: these are all greyed out. Can any U2410 owners chime in let me know how to access these? Also can someone clarify for me what DDC/CI and LCD conditioning in the menu do?
The power button is an actual button that you can press and its blue light is not distracting (it works well with the Saitek keyboard)
No visible banding.
Can’t see any significant light bleed but I think my bottom left corner might have some very small bleed, but it is hardly distracting, even in a movie.
Movies look good. I don’t have a Bluray player so I can’t comment on this, but looking at some rips and HD trailers, they do look great.
Only using 1:1 so I can’t say much about scaling.
Viewing angles are great. There is a slight gamma shift on the vertical at extreme angles, but by and large its nothing like a TN screen, very happy with this.

Things I don’t like:

Had to turn off the button sound in the menu. I just found the beeping annoying, but it’s a quick fix
Mine does have a tint on white backgrounds. Noticed this right away when I opened Google. Left side is slightly cooler while the right side is slightly warmer. I may get used to this. It’s not a horrible tint, its noticeable, but just barely.
There may be slight input lag in games. On the desktop, the mouse is very fluid, but in games there is a VERY SLIGHT delay. If you are extremely sensitive to it, you will notice it, but by no means does it prevent you from enjoying your gaming experience.
There is slight ghosting in very high contrast situations, such as Team Fortress 2 with its limited high contrast color palette. But even then I really needed to look for it (something dark like power lines against a blue sky). By and large I can’t see it in any other game I tried. They look great overall. It really is nitpicking.

These are small issues in my opinion, but here’s the 800-pound gorilla:

Colors do need some work. Out of the box the colors are off when compared to my CRT. I managed to get the colors relatively close using the saturation controls, but definitely one of the colors is wrong. On the Lagom site, the viewing angle test that shows a solid purple background, well that one comes out looking like violet instead. The other 3 are ok (kind off, but not really) but at least the hue is correct.
On its own though, once I mucked around in custom color mode, I did get it looking close enough to my CRT. When I flip back to the other modes, I can see how wrong the colors are. I don’t know how Dell does the calibration but that report is just marketing fluff.
Weird color artifacting in custom mode using hue controls. It almost looks like macro blocking in a video. After playing with the hue controls I was able to get the colors really close to my CRT, but then I noticed the artifacting. The shades were correct but it introduced weird artifacting into the image. Had to revert this and go back to the kind-of-ok saturation controlled colors. If anyone who owns the U2410 can explain how to avoid to artifacting, this would make the colors close enough for my needs.

I know that was long but I wanted to put as much information down about this as possible for those on the fence. The big one for me is the colors. They are not completely wrong but they are off a bit. If we can figure out the issues with the custom mode hue controls, I can get it working to my tastes.

If one does color critical work, then you will need a hardware calibrator. But that’s a given. In that case it would come down to the tinting since the application would be color managed with the profile. Are you able to live with the amount of tinting present?

Other than that, can I recommend this monitor? For people who aren’t too picky, you will like it after some tweaking. I’m not convinced yet if I want to keep it (still need a few more days with it), but it is very tempting. I have gotten it looking close to the CRT but not all the way. At the same time the increased resolution and positive aspects of this monitor outweigh the small issues I have with it. Color is the big one, the rest are more nitpicking than anything else.

Cheers

[/QUOTE]