If you're looking for some low-key activities for the summer, going to an outdoor film screening can be a great outing. Luckily, there are films being shown in parks and venues across the city all summer long! With so many different options, it can be hard to plan out your calendar. We've rounded up as many screenings as we could find for you here:
- Movies in the Park is taking place on July 8, 22, August 5 and 19 (an extra week was added this year!). This year's films include Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Raiders of The Lost Ark, Back To The Future and The Princess Bride. All screenings take place in Riverdale Park (East). Admission is free, but donations are encouraged. Proceeds will go towards supporting local charities.
- Dancing in the Dark kicks off on June 19 in Yonge Dundas Square with a free screening of Tommy. Every Tuesday until August 28 they'll be screening films, including Dazed and Confused, Monty Python and The Holy Grail, a The Princess Bride/Labyrinth double bill and more. All films start at sundown.
- Hot Spot Summer runs from July 4-29 at Harbourfront. Every week, they'll be screening a different film that fits the theme of "underdogs". Screenings are free and start on the WestJet stage at dusk. This year's films include Office Space, Zoolander, The Social Network, Whip It, Moneyball and more.
- TIFF in the Park is a joint venture between TIFF and the Entertainment District BIA. Every Wednesday from June 27 to August 29, they will host classic screwball comedy screenings in David Pecaut Square. All films are free and start at sunset. Films include Trouble in Paradise, His Girl Friday, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, The Philadelphia Story and more.
- Movies Under the Stars takes place every Friday at Downsview Park starting June 29. Films include The Adventures of Tin Tin, Hugo, E.T.: The Extraterrestrial, Avatar, The Muppets and more.
- Sail-in Cinema is back at Sugar Beach from August 16-18 this year! Bring a lawnchair or drive up in your boat to enjoy a film on a two-sided screen in the Toronto Harbour. Films are TBA.
- Summer Afternoon at the Movies runs every Tuesday from July 10 to August 28. A perfect solution for those rainy days, the indoor series will be taking place at the Toronto Reference Library and will feature screenings of films (TBA). Screenings take place from 2-4:30PM each week.
- If you want something extra out of your outdoor movie-going experience, the Open Roof Festival gives you a double hit of film and music. Every Thursday starting June 21, a different independent film and musical act are presented at the Amsterdam Brewery. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online or at the door.